Asset based community development (ABCD) is a localised and bottom-up way of strengthening communities through recognising, identifying and harnessing existing ‘assets’ (i.e. things like skills, knowledge, capacity, resources, experience or enthusiasm) that individuals and communities have which can help to strengthen and improve things locally. Instead of looking at what a community needs or lacks, the approach focuses on utilising the ‘assets’ that are already there.
CVSU has been championing ABC Development over the last several years, with some fantastic outcomes for Uttlesford based groups and organisations. We now have the opportunity to offer funded ABCD Training once again, with a course due to start in December 2020. This funded training is made possible thanks to a grant secured from The National Lottery and HM Government as part of our “Uttlesford Response, Recover, Sustain” project.
If you are an interested community member, a current volunteer, an employee of a charity or non-profit or a local Councillor serving your community, and would like to train to use the ABCD approach in your work, then please register your interest in the December programme.
Course Content and Commitment
Discover Asset Based Community Development (ABCD) a modular e-learning course for 20 people that consists of the following eight modules:
- Moving from Deficit to Asset Based Community Development - focus on what’s strong not what’s wrong
- The Six Building Blocks of Community
- The Role of the Professional in Citizen Space
- The Craft and Power of using Questions to Build Community
- Learning Conversations & Developing Community Builder Skills
- The Role of Connectors and Animators
- The 8 Touchstones Community Building Framework Pt: 1
- The 8 Touchstones of Community Building Framework Pt 2
There are three aspects to the delivery of the Discover ABCD course
- Self-directed learning – access to video, audio, written and visual learning resources relating to each of the eight modules via the Community Renewal platform.
- Reflective learning – 8 X Coaching seminars per area facilitated online via zoom.
- Practical Assignments – Exercises that attendees will complete as they progress through the course
Duration: Eight X 90 min Coaching Seminars, Eight hours of self-directed learning plus practical assignments.
Watch this short video where Cormac Russell, MD of training provider Nurture Development explains how ABCD focuses on building communities through people’s strengths and passions
To make the training viable, we need to secure a strong expression of interest. The course would have 20 spaces available, but participants must be available to complete all 8 online coaching sessions, the 8 hours of study and the practical assignments.
To register your interest without obligation please complete our EOI form